How to Make a Picnic Table with a Gutter Drink Trough
Adding a gutter drink trough to your picnic table is a great way to keep drinks cold and easily available for outdoor entertaining. Here’s how to go about it.
- Turn the picnic table over and remove any diagonal braces under the table that attach to the center board of the picnic table top.
- Cut the center cross cleat under the table 1½” back from the center board on each side.
- Attach 2×4 cleats across the bottom of the table at each end with 2½” screws.
- Attach 2x2s lengthwise to the bottom of the boards adjoining the center board with 2½” screws.
- Turn the picnic table upright, then remove the center board from the top.
- Measure the distance between the cleats and add 2” to it.
- Cut the center board into three pieces, with the long middle piece the length measured above.
- Attach the two short pieces of the top to each end of the table using nails or screws.
- Drill a 3/4″ finger hole in one end of the center board to allow for easy removal.
- Cut a piece of 5” rain gutter to length, and install end caps on each end with caulk.
- Insert the gutter into the table so it’s below the bottom of the top, and screw the gutter to the 2x2s with sheet metal screws.
- Drill drain holes in the bottom of the gutter.
- Reinstall the diagonal braces under the table.
- Fill the gutter with drinks and ice.
Here are a couple of examples