Water is often termed as the source of life and the supply of this precious resource is gradually depleting. Groundwater sources are drying up due to global warming and other unpredictable climate changes. The solution to these supply problems is harnessing the abundant nature of rainfalls. However, up 90 percent of rain water is wasted due to lack of proper storage techniques. Rain water harvesting is the way forward for water management.
Amazing facts about rain water harvesting:
1. Rain water harvesting enables you to save ample amount of water for your varied needs. You need not use drinking water for the purpose of cleaning and making the dishes. In many countries, wastage of valuable drinking water is a common sight due to lack of adequate water. This increases the rate of water pollution at a quick pace.
2. This technique of water saving helps you control your water costs. Some countries bill their users for water consumption. Rain harvesting significantly reduces your water bill and utilize it elsewhere. The government also saves precious national resources in maintaining the water supply. For more information on how rain water harvesting makes a difference, you can refer class 12 science notes.
3. Rain water harvesting prevents flooding. This natural calamity claims millions of lives and property damage globally every year. And the incidences are growing. If lands are developed for rain harvesting, the tremendous power of floods can be converted into holding pens for water, which can then be utilized for various purposes. It has been estimated that every square mile of land that is developed for rainwater harvesting saves at least 16 million gallons of water during floods. Just imagine what such numbers can do for a nation’s water needs.
4. Rain water harvesting can be implemented on a small or large scale, depending on requirements. Household implementation of such systems ensures the consistent accumulation of soft water which has no calcium, the source of harmful water residues. Thus, you can operate washing machines longer, save washrooms from lime scale buildup and decalcifying products. All this translates to reduced costs and immense tangible and intangible benefits.
5. If the system of rain water harvesting is universally implemented in cities, every major town can become self sufficient in water. They will not exploit natural water resources haphazardly, thus ensuring the regeneration of land based sources of water.
The water saved due to rain water harvesting can be used for many purposes, including domestic chores, drinking purposes and for industrial requirement.